- What kind of information we collect from visitors and members.
- What we use that information for.
- Who has access to the information we collect.
- Our policy on advertising.
- What to do if you suspect your privacy has been compromised by someone in the 501st Ireland Garrison.
What kind of information do we collect and how do we use it?
All site visitors
If you visit the 501st Ireland Garrison’s website, the following information will collected about you:
- What web browser software you use. Examples include Firefox, Internet Explorer, Konquerer, WebTV, Safari, etc.
- What operating system your computer uses. Examples include Windows XP, Apple OS X, Linux, Solaris, etc.
- How you got to our website. For example, if you found a link to our site from another website, then we will know which website linked to us. If you came here from a search engine, such as Google, we will know what words you used in your search.
- The date, time, and length of your visit here.
- Any website errors you may have encountered.
This information is collected so that we can understand how people are reaching our site, what parts of the site are most popular, and how best to tailor the site to suit our visitors. This information is not made available to anyone except the Garrison webmaster and the Garrison Commanding Officer.
The 501st Ireland Garrison does not use any form of advertising on the website beyond linking to relevant Star Wars and Science-Fiction websites. We also do not permit users to use our forum, private message system, chat room, or other areas of our website for the purpose of advertising and/or SPAM.
If you have experienced internet advertising such as banners, pop-ups, pop-unders or other ads while visiting our site, then this is because your computer has ad-ware or spyware (collectively known as scumware) installed on your computer. Tools such as Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Spyware Blaster can help remove such software from your computer.
What to do if you suspect someone in the Garrison has compromised your privacy
If you believe that someone within the Garrison who has access to your contact information, the first thing that you should do is check the privacy settings for your e-mail address and other contact info. If it is set to “Everyone” or “Members only,” then you may want to restrict to staff members. Next you should gather all details and information you have and e-mail the Legion with that information. Here is some information to include in your message:
- Your username and/or real name
- If you have any idea who has violated your trust, please state who and why you think they did it
- When was your private information exposed and how or where did it happen?
- What the privacy setting on your information was set to at the time your information was exposed