Florida Garrison and RaKura Base Members visiting Ireland!

WhiteWalker

Hi Ireland Garrison!  My wife and I are both 501st and RL members in Tampa Bay Squad in the Florida Garrison, and we'll be visiting Ireland later this month along with our daughter (also Galactic Academy!).  We'll be in Dublin 29-31 May and then Galway 31 May - 3 June, before we head on to London for 5 days.  We'd love to meet up with some local members while there, maybe have a pint and trade some swag?  

Thanks!

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum, and we look forward to welcoming you here! We've got a good few members in and around Dublin, and there's a good chance I could call into Galway myself while you're there. Keep us informed of your plans and I'm sure we can figure something out!

• Like 2

Daniel

TX/TI-86327

Tipperary

sig-danielf_501st.png

We'll be arriving in Dublin around 5pm on May 29, but that's definitely the jet-lag evening after the flight!  Doing the tourist things in Dublin on May 30, then after lunch on May 31 driving to Galway.  Spending 3 nights in an AirBNB on that side of the country before returning to Dublin on June 3 to fly to London.  

Very important Dublin tourist question, if I only have time to visit one, Guinness or Jameson?? 😀

• Like 1

Ah, tricky question... I've been to the Jameson distillery in Midleton in Cork and it was a fantastic tour, but I've never done their Dublin tour. Guinness Storehouse has some interesting stuff and is worth it just for the views of the city from the bar up top. Some of our other troopers might have experience of Jameson in Dublin and offer a fairer comparison!

• Like 1

Daniel

TX/TI-86327

Tipperary

sig-danielf_501st.png

I've only been to the Guinness Storehouse & yes, the views of Dublin from the gravity bar are spectacular. 

Do you know where in Dublin you are staying before heading off to Galway?

I can see if we can arrange to meet on the evening of the 30th.

• Like 1

TK/TX/DZ/SL/DS 18170 -  Shane Murphy [Dropkick]
501st profile

sig-shanem_501st.gif

sig-shanem_rl.png

3 hours ago, Dropkick said:

I've only been to the Guinness Storehouse & yes, the views of Dublin from the gravity bar are spectacular. 

Do you know where in Dublin you are staying before heading off to Galway?

I can see if we can arrange to meet on the evening of the 30th.

Sounds like Guinness Storehouse is the winning choice then!  

We are staying at the Belvedere Hotel Parnell Square, which seems to be pretty close to the city center and walkable to a lot of things.

• Like 1

Everywhere in Dublin city is walkable 😅. It's a tiny town compared to most American or European cities.

Jameson brewery is short and sweet compared to Guinness, which as the guys said also gives you the view to check out. They're pretty much stones throw away from each other (5-10) min walk so squeezing both in wouldn't be a wild task.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXL_20230419_031647508.jpg

1 Personal Logo~2.jpg

We've got a plan now for our Dublin day.  We're visiting the library at Trinity College the morning of 30 May, then having lunch and walking around afterwards seeing the sites. I'll be visiting Guinness later in the afternoon before dinner time while my wife and daughter visit shops.  Hopefully can connect with folks that evening if anyone is available!

Our only thing for sure right now while we're over in Galway the 2nd half of the week is a drive out to the Cliffs of Moher either Thursday or Friday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

Hi guys, I could have a drive up to Galway Friday afternoon if it suited you to have a meet up then?

Hi Daniel!  That would most likely work for us, we're just planning to do some sightseeing around Galway on Friday so pretty flexible.  Are you on FB or Messenger, could connect that way later in the week if that works?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're back home after a great trip to Ireland and London.

Daniel, it was a great pleasure to meet you and your wife, do a little trading, and get a quick glimpse of Athlone!  One of the best things about belonging to the Legion is that you suddenly have friends all over the world.

I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet more of you, but don't hesitate to reach out to me if you plan to visit Florida!  Cheers everyone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1