Introduction

RyanGarry1

Hey Everyone, 

Ryan here from Dublin Ireland 

I'm a lifelong Star Wars fan and always wanted to try out costuming as a kid but never knew where to start, now being 24 I've found the 501st and Rebel Legion so hopefully I can start costuming soon

I have no idea on where to start with building costumes but there is a few I'd love to do 

-Boba Fett or Jango Fett

-Biker Scout 

-Stormtrooper

-Shadow Trooper

If anyone could offer me any tips on how to get started or which would be best for a beginner I would really love to hear from you! 

Many thanks 

Ryan 

• Like 2

Hi Ryan and welcome on our forum!

I'm not an expert on the costumes you mentioned but for the scout and the trooper the first step would be buying a kit out of which you can build your armour...then just follow the guidelines on the costume standards (here for the costumes you mentioned https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRLbyname as they are all imperials it would fall under 501st) for all the other details

• Like 1

sig-andrea_rl.gif

sig-andrea_501st.png

Rebel Legion Ireland Commanding Officer
Rebel Legion Ireland Merchandise Officer
501st Ireland Garrison Webmaster

Andrea

Hello Ryan and welcome to the forum.

You have taken your first step into a larger world😁

All those costumes you mentioned are fantastic choices, the first thing you need to do is settle on which one you want to do.

You may or may not be aware that some costumes can cost more than others so this may influence your choice, you have definitely come to the right place though as you will get lots of advice and tips from our staff and members.

As per 501st rules we cannot recommend one vendor over another on public areas of our forum but when you choose which costume you want, we can pm you information on what vendor's some of us have used.

Also there are forums within the 501st that deal with specific costumes that are called 'detachments', strormtroopers have 'First imperial Stormtrooper Detachnent' (FISD) bounty hunters have 'The Bounty Hunters Guild and so on, there you will find more detailed information on those costumes aswel as build threads and such.

The main thing to keep on mind is not to rush into buying anything, many vendors claim to '501st approvable' but this is often not the case, always best to ask first to avoid any costly mistakes.

Feel free to send me a pm 

Hope this helps😉

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, welshchris77 said:

Hello Ryan and welcome to the forum.

You have taken your first step into a larger world😁

All those costumes you mentioned are fantastic choices, the first thing you need to do is settle on which one you want to do.

You may or may not be aware that some costumes can cost more than others so this may influence your choice, you have definitely come to the right place though as you will get lots of advice and tips from our staff and members.

As per 501st rules we cannot recommend one vendor over another on public areas of our forum but when you choose which costume you want, we can pm you information on what vendor's some of us have used.

Also there are forums within the 501st that deal with specific costumes that are called 'detachments', strormtroopers have 'First imperial Stormtrooper Detachnent' (FISD) bounty hunters have 'The Bounty Hunters Guild and so on, there you will find more detailed information on those costumes aswel as build threads and such.

The main thing to keep on mind is not to rush into buying anything, many vendors claim to '501st approvable' but this is often not the case, always best to ask first to avoid any costly mistakes.

Feel free to send me a pm 

Hope this helps😉

Thanks a million for all the info! 

I'll PM you now 🙏

• Like 1

Hello Ryan and welcome!

Relatively new myself and only recently decided to start with a TK (Storm Trooper) and am waiting on BBB day (BigBrownBox Day).

Definitely take a look at the forums Chris mentioned. There’s an absolutely huge amount of information there, so try not to get bogged down in the granular details to start.

Look through the CRLs and think what you’d like and what suits you best and from there, refine your idea. 

There are also variants of storm trooper / Boba Fett etc based on movie / CRL you apply under - this is the granular detail I mentioned, try not to get bogged down by it. It delayed my decision by literally months 🤣

Remeber, this is for you, the vast majority who see your kit won’t know the difference between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back TKs. 

• Like 1

Everything a price has, however, isn’t always money, the price is. 

sig-richard_501st.png

12 hours ago, SyntaxError said:

Hello Ryan and welcome!

Relatively new myself and only recently decided to start with a TK (Storm Trooper) and am waiting on BBB day (BigBrownBox Day).

Definitely take a look at the forums Chris mentioned. There’s an absolutely huge amount of information there, so try not to get bogged down in the granular details to start.

Look through the CRLs and think what you’d like and what suits you best and from there, refine your idea. 

There are also variants of storm trooper / Boba Fett etc based on movie / CRL you apply under - this is the granular detail I mentioned, try not to get bogged down by it. It delayed my decision by literally months 🤣

Remeber, this is for you, the vast majority who see your kit won’t know the difference between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back TKs. 

Thanks a million man! 

Where are these forums are they here on the Irish 501st or on a seperate site? 

I looked on the CRLs and love the idea of a classic TK trooper or Tie Pilot reserve 

Sorry for so many questions but what is Brown Box Day? 

Cheers

29 minutes ago, RyanGarry1 said:

Depends on the detachment. When reviewing the CRLs, there are links to the relevant forums. At the top of the CRL, look for detachment, this will then have the link to the relevant forum, it is on the main 501st website, but there are sub forums here too with some good information!

26 minutes ago, RyanGarry1 said:

looked on the CRLs and love the idea of a classic TK trooper or Tie Pilot reserve 

All great choices!

26 minutes ago, RyanGarry1 said:

what is Brown Box Day?

Some kits have a lot of pieces, hence, when they arrive, they arrive in a big brown box 😁

• Like 1

Everything a price has, however, isn’t always money, the price is. 

sig-richard_501st.png

1 hour ago, SyntaxError said:

Depends on the detachment. When reviewing the CRLs, there are links to the relevant forums. At the top of the CRL, look for detachment, this will then have the link to the relevant forum, it is on the main 501st website, but there are sub forums here too with some good information!

All great choices!

Some kits have a lot of pieces, hence, when they arrive, they arrive in a big brown box 😁

Ah brilliant I'll go take a closer look at the CRLs

I shouldve known the Big Brown Box day, I've been living on online shopping 😂

Thanks for all the info man, I really appreciate it 🙏

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RyanGarry1 said:

Thanks a million man! 

I looked on the CRLs and love the idea of a classic TK trooper or Tie Pilot reserve 

Sorry for so many questions but what is Brown Box Day? 

Cheers

Hi there & welcome to the forums.

Here's a link on the legion website to all the detachments.

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRLbydetachment

Each detachment has a list of costumes. So for example the shadow trooper you mentioned earlier is in the Spec Ops detachment. [I'm slightly biased as I have a shadow scout & am currently building a shadow trooper].

• Like 1

TK/TX/DZ/SL/DS 18170 -  Shane Murphy [Dropkick]
501st profile

sig-shanem_501st.gif

sig-shanem_rl.png